This looks fun: Kelsey of Reading Keeps you Sane, Khyrinthia of Frenetic Reader, Jordyn of ten cent notes, Persnickety Snark, and Trish Doller compiled lists of their favorite YA crushes. It was interesting to see, as some of them crushed on characters other put on their “least favorite” lists. I was wondering who would be on mine. (Dude, Logan, if TV counts. which I don’t think it does.)
1. Edmund Pevensie. My love of Kind Edmund the Just of Narnia is well-documented. You can pick up a copy of Into the Wardrobe and read all about it. I wonder, however, if it counts as YA? Possibly not in Wardrobe, but he’s older and wiser in Prince Caspian and Dawn Treader (and way older and wiser in Horse, which is where I truly swoon) so I’m going to count it. Honestly, the only male in that seires I love more is Reepicheep, and you guys are sure to think I’m gross for saying that.
2. Gilbert Blythe. Swoonie swoon swoon. You want to hear why I love Gilbert? This is why. He’s so sexy and stalwart. And plus, he’s the hero of one of my favorite novels of all time (Anne of the Island).
3. Remus Lupin. Yeah, I know he’s an adult in a YA novel, but I was an adult when I read it, and I just found him adorable. Rumpled, long-suffering, brilliant, tortured. I was so sad when he broke poor Tonks’s heart. Again and again. And then… man, now I’m getting all teary. RIP, Remus.
4. Ravus of Valiant. Rrroawr. I seriously need me some troll love. Why was that never a thing, the way vampires were? Sexy sexy. There is nothing I like more than a troll who can teach me how to swordfight.
5. Hmmmmm…. this last one is tricky. Should I pick Po of Graceling? Evan of Bloom? Rex of Midnighters? Kartik of the Gemma Doyle Trilogy? Drew of Major Crush? Should I just call it a tie? Okay, even narrowing down, there is no way I can decide between Po and Rex. No, it’s Rex. Man, I love Rex. I love how great he is with Melissa, I love what a badass he is after he’s darklingified. I just love Rex.
1. Aravis Tarkheena from A Horse and His Boy. She’s so kickass.
2. Sophie and Darla of Dull Boy. It’s a twofer of superheroey goodness! Actually, we can add Catherine into that, too. It’s three amazingly awesome heroines in one novel!
3. Elnora Comstock of A Girl of the LImberlost. Dare I say it? Even cooler than Anne Shirley.
4. Dess of Midnighters. Run away with me, Dess! You deserve so much more than being stuck in that one-darkling town!
5. Man, I know I’m forgetting heaps. Like Diana Holland of The Luxe, who is delicious and irrepressible. And Philippa Gordon of Anne of the Island. And Tally Youngblood, natch. Ooh, and Nicolette from Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress. And Bitterblue of Graceling, who, is it just me, but does she have a bit of the Alia Atreides about her? Am I wrong? Oddly prescient, wise beyond her years Bitterblue? But I digress. Ooh, and Alanna of Trebond. How could i forget her!
Too bad I can’t do that for TV too. Willow Rosenburg and Cordelia Chase and Veronica Mars and Mac would certainly have made the cut.